8/6/06

Cooldown

I just saw this picture on the BBC Sports Website. It certainly brought back a lot of memories of working in pro basketball and baseball. Why ice after exercise if there is no problem? Isn’t it better to cooldown than shutdown? Light, large amplitude movements to stimulate blood flow and static stretching are much more effective. Lebron would be better off elevating his feet and doing some shaking and gentle kneading of the muscles. I always use the analogy of race horses, when they finish their races they take the saddle off and walk them for a significant period of time. This will bring them down gradually.

2 Comments:

At 8/6/06, 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,

I remember the days when I was at Kenyon College in the mid 80's that I use to go get 2 ice packs for my knees after practice. That was before that beautiful complex they have now. I use to think it helped keep the swelling down but I think hurdle work and foam rollers work better now. A friend told me once that was part of the medical team for a professional football team they would immediately put a hot pack on acute sprained ankles - never used ice for anything.

Mark Day D.C., CSCS, DACBSP

 
At 8/7/06, 8:17 AM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

The hot pack on ankle sprains is part of new "energy medicine" camp. I'm personally not a fan. However, you can say that prolotherapy and extracorporal shockwave therapy are off shoots of it. Many insurance companies now pay for the ECST, so there must be something to encouraging the inflammatory response.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home