8/5/06

The other 98%

What does that mean? It is the 98% solution. I keep running into people looking for that last 2%. It dawned on me yesterday that most of these people had not really taken care of the first 98%. Instead of looking for that small edge fully exploit the biggest part of the training puzzle. There is so much there that people overlook or just simply do not pay attention to. Pay attention to the 98% and fully exploit all aspects of it and you will see quantum leaps in performance. Little things like consistency in the approach to training, focus on the task at hand, living a lifestyle away from training commensurate with excellence are all obvious things that will help to expand and exploit the 98%. No tricks, no shortcuts, no secrets, just good directed training that addresses all components of athletic development.

3 Comments:

At 8/5/06, 4:30 PM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

"living a lifestyle away from training commensurate with excellence"- I'm going to save this quote.

 
At 8/6/06, 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always like to think of it as "making sure you bake the cake right before you worry about what icing will go on top..."

 
At 8/8/06, 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just reading a piece in the paper today about how we are raising a generation of kids who expect instant gratification. Somehow this post made me think of that article and the many conversations I have had with parents and kids about how they can improve in athletics. The first thing I say is "show up everyday." For some reason, that seems to surprise a lot of people. Yet it is so simple. I think their surprise is due to the fact they are used to instant gratification in every other area in life. I happen to love the new gadgets, machines, computer programs that might give my kids that edge. But -- you are right Vern -- if the first 98% is not there, the extra 2% doesn't matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home