8/3/06

Optimum Firing Patterns – Do they exist?

Are there optimal firing patterns for various muscle groups? According to many gurus there are. They can put someone on a plinth and do some manual muscle testing and tell if the hamstring I firing before the glute or vice versa. Personally I feel that the body is much smarter and more adaptable than this. The body is a genius at solving whatever movement problems that are presented to it. Being a big fan of Richard Lieber, I think the fallowing quote sum it up quite nicely. On page 40 of his book Skeltetal Muscle Structure, Function & Plasticity - The Physiological Basis of Rehabilitation, he sums it up quite well: “the nervous system provides the signal for the muscle ”to do its thing” but that does not necessarily specify the details of the action. It is as if the nervous system acts as the central control while the muscle interprets the control signal into an external action by virtue of its intrinsic design.”

Roger Enoka in an even more concise statement states it quite well: “… the function of a muscle depends critically on the context in which it is activated.” Think logically, this is the way the body works; it must be adaptable just to survive. If there were optimum or even preferred firing patterns the body would continually be short circuiting. My friend Steve Myrland sums it up quite eloquently. “We want bodies that are adaptable rather than simply adapted.”



1 Comments:

At 8/3/06, 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,

This topic is about the only thing that I am not in complete agreement with you. I guess I am speaking more in reference to abnormal firing patterns due to injury and not those when trying to accomplish a difficult task such as the 4th quarter of a football game. I am not advocating lieing folks down on a table and evaluating their firing patterns though either - must include gravity to make it a good test. I am not saying either that when you have to run like hell the body does not find a way to get it done. I just feel that with recurrent pain patterns to a joint/portion of the kinetic chain that there does get to be subclinical adaptation complexes that are not in the best interest of the body long term. The brain/spinal cord does get confused at times - phantom pain for example. Pain advoidance behaviours despite no current injury is another example. To your credit I feel your ideas of rebuilding the athlete helps fix many problems I think I see. Just my opinion.

Mark Day D.C., CSCS, DACBSP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home