1/22/08

South Sydney Rabbitohs

This past weekend I visited with the South Sydney Rabbitohs in Jacksonville. They are over to play Leeds from England in an exhibition match. I was first able to visit with Vince Kelly, Head Strength and Conditioning coach and Grant Duthie, his assistant when I was in Australia last May. At that time I was able to attend a game. This time I was able to attend three training sessions. It certainly is great to see dedicated professionals at work. They take a total Athletic development approach to a very physically demanding game. In the workout I saw and the plan they went over with me they do a fine job of blending strength, power, aerobic and anaerobic endurance, speed and agility. They never lose sight of the fact that they are preparing for a series of high speed collisions for 80 minutes with only ten substitutions’ allowed. This was a very athletically fit group of players, as you will see from the pictures. You cannot carry any excess fat when you have to do the amount of running they do and play 80 minutes. Each session ended with extensive static stretching and some form of recovery either pool or ice bath. I would also like to thank Errol Alcott, Athletic Performance Coordinator and Jason Taylor, the head coach for allowing me total access to the workout. It was an enjoyable weekend, a little bit of Australia.

2 Comments:

At 1/22/08, 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curious question for anybody who wants to lend a hand. In the pictures it appears they are doing the "sway" drill as I have seen it written. I have read on the drill, just not actually seen it done want want to use it ..but want to use it correctly. Can anyone help with this matter????

 
At 1/23/08, 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article and photos Coach. Most of those drills look very familiar.LOL I've known from the beginning that your philosophies translate over completely into the game of rugby. It is a very difficult sport to train for because it has so many different fitness demands. You have hit the nail on the head in just the short time you have been involved with the game.

Sincerely,
Bumper Hay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home