1/30/08

Notre Dame High School

I had a great visit to Notre dame High School in Sherman Oaks California. That make two weekends in row I have been able to meet with high school coaches who really get it. In Jacksonville Sid Maxwell from Sequoyah High School in Canton Georgia came down to hang with the rugby guys. Sid came to the third seminar I did in 1992 and has been implementing the concepts ever sense. Nick Garcia is the Athletic Coach, also coach’s freshman football and is the throws coach at Notre Dame, he is a young coach with a tremendous background in training. The athletes at these two schools are lucky to have coaches like this who really care and are always willing to learn. It was so refreshing to go two weekends without hearing a, can’t do that or I already do that. Joe McNab the track coach and defensive backs coach at Notre Dame was also there. He is great coach, having won several CIF Track championships. He has had several boys under 10.5 in the 100 meters, but his passion in track in the 400 meters. We had a great time talking 400 meter training and helping to fine tune his program. The interesting thing that struck me at Notre dame is that all but four of their football players compete in track. They still do the off season lifting in the morning and do their other football stuff, but they train for and compete in track. I am not seeing that here in my part of Florida and other places in the country. On the flight back I could help but reflect on how lucky the athletes at Notre dame to have coaches like this. It also reminded me that is it is about people not facilities, they have fine facilities, but it is the expertise, passion and enthusiasm of the coaches that is the real secret.

2 Comments:

At 1/30/08, 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern - I feel lucky to have attended a high school where the norm was to play multiple sports. For the girls, it was usually VB, BB, SB and the guys went FB, BB, Track, and Baseball. The coaches overlapped sports as well and the general theme was making our athletes better athletes vs. how quickly can you burn out in one sport. It's still one of the best things about my high school experience!

 
At 1/30/08, 11:27 PM, Blogger Austin Sports Performance Trainer said...

Coach, I'm curious what you take is on track participation for soccer players. Although I'm a big fan of kids doing multiple sports. I have some girls (my daughter included) who are being encouraged to participate in distance events by their school's track coach although they are gifted sprinters. I feel like competing in distance events is really going to be a detriment to their soccer speed, especially because the club soccer and track overlap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home