10/9/06

Real Functional Training

I received this email from a friend of mine, Bob Helfst. It speaks volumes about things that used to be done and why we have the problems we have today.Watch old for those old farm guys!

I spent most of the afternoon with my 70 year old father-in-law bailing, stacking and putting up the last cutting of hay from his fields. We stood on a wagon that swayed and shifted as it was pulled around the bumpy field by the tractor while we lifted, carried and stacked the 40-80# bales of hay while the tractor and wagon were in motion. We then unloaded 200 bales and stacked it in a barn. This involved carrying those same bales while walking across bales you have already stacked. Obviously modern technology in the form of tractors, hay balers and elevators make the job easier, but it occurred to me that the balance, power and strength endurance necessary to complete this task is considerable and my 70 year-old father-in-law who weighs all of 145 pounds was right in the middle of it with me. As he puts it, he doesn't work as fast as he used to, but he can still get the job done. At a time in life where I begin worrying about my patients falling and breaking a hip, he's riding a wagon and carrying bales of hay. If a sailor has "sea legs", my father-in-law has "farmers' legs". I look at the things I do with the patients I see and the folks I train and much of it is based on development of some of those same qualities.

1 Comments:

At 10/9/06, 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post just goes to show that what is functional for one may not be for another. I was not completely kidding about my comparisons of medball/hurdle exercises to carrying a newborn calf over and under a fence to get it back to its momma although I doubt folks in New York have that in mind. What can be a lot of fun too is teaching a 1000 pound bull it is suppose to walk gently beside you so that it can be a show bull and go to fairs/cattle shows. This really requires core strength in multiple planes. I have 125 head of cattle now myself and maintain 250 acres but I know that if I do not exercise I will not stay in shape. Too many farmers mistake farming activity for exercise and it is not. It is much more than the average American probably does however.

Mark Day D.C., CSCS, DACBSP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home