10/6/06

Labels

Eastside, Westside all about the town. Does it really matter if you a Westside guys, unless you are in a gang. I despise labels! I guess that does not leave too much wiggle room does it. A couple of people said the Westside Barbell guys were upset with my post on recovery. I am sure many people were because I had the audacity to question conventional wisdom. Frankly to be good at what you do, you cannot afford to worship at the altar of method or hang your hat on one person’s ideas. To be the best demands an eclectic approach. I learned this a long time ago from Bill Bowerman. He proudly acknowledged all the influences that were the ingredients of the Oregon Program. I am about training; I have a system that I have evolved over the years. It works for me, in the situations where I am able to apply hands on. Certain other people have been able to adapt aspects of my system their situations and create their own systems, more power to them. To train you can’t just lift heavy, you can’t not lift, and you can’t just sprint, you do what you have to do depending on the demands of the sport and level of development of the athlete. That demands attention to all components of training at all times in different proportions. To define a profession and move forward in training lets get past all the bull shitake. PS – Am I a Westside guy because I grew up on the Westside (pretty close to the wrong side of the tracks) and I had barbells? May if I learn the secret handshake I can join the fraternity.

1 Comments:

At 10/6/06, 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in your statement "I have a system that I have evolved over the years. It works for me, in the situations where I am able to apply hands on." That interests me because I see it so often in education. I am married to a women I consider one of the best high school English teachers I've ever seen. Many of her supervisors have asked her to help others do what she does. Most she has helped cannot get the same results. There is something about the combination of her system, her temperment and the way she works that makes her effective. It isn't just the system. Coaching and teaching is more then just applying a system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home