10/9/06

Answers to Various Questions

So what you recommend for recovery between sets of working with say a basketball or soccer player for sprinting?

Proper program design and practice organization. If it is speed work longer lines for longer rest. Carefully sequence activities leading into and out of the speed work. Follow speed work with a drill that emphasizes speed of movement and thought in a tactical situation.

This rest debate brings to my mind another subject, the Barry Ross method of training his sprinters. Vern, if you are familiar with it would you mind commenting?

Someone sent me the book about a year ago. I read it, but did find it anything revolutionary. Perhaps I missed something. Maybe I should go back and read again. I know my colleagues Dave Reddin and Calvin Morris visited him and their feelings were much the same. What do you think?

Patrick McHugh asked me to comment on my statement "I have a system that I have evolved over the years. It works for me, in the situations where I am able to apply hands on."

Patrick as you know having worked with you and your staff for a year consultation, there are things that I can do that are not repeatable. It is sum of my experiences. That does not mean that a system cannot be repeated, it should be repeatable or it is not a system. The mistake people make is to copy everything in detail, you have taken aspects of the system I introduce and added your personal and knowledge to make it better and a system that works for North shore Country Day school.

What would be the ideal curriculum to prepare someone for a entry-level athletic development/strength and conditioning job? Besides the usual anatomy, biomechanics. Maybe this is something your book will address, but would like to know what you think the young professional needs to know upon leaving college.

This is a very good question. First of all extensive hands on practical experience under direct supervision of a trained professional in an athletic setting, not a Golds Gym or health club. There should be extensive course work in applied Biomechanics. Several courses on training theory including training plan project. Each student should have to produce a training video or an instructional package on an area of their choice. They must take what in the old days we used to call "activity classes" where they have to show fundamental proficiency to be able to demonstrate movements. Long on practice supported by theory. These are some quick thoughts.

1 Comments:

At 10/9/06, 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

QUOTE: "They must take what in the old days we used to call "activity classes" where they have to show fundamental proficiency to be able to demonstrate movements"

That kind of reminds me of the way it used to be in the old eastern bloc countries. In order to coach, you had to be almost of national class caliber in that sport.

Like one of my coaches used to say (jokingly) "No high jump coaching for you ... unless you clear 2.00 meters"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home