10/20/06

Hype & Marketing

I do not know about you, but I really get tired of a lot of the hype and marketing I am seeing trying to sell training programs. The claims are so far out there I can’t believe that people fall for this stuff. I know people have to make a living, but how about truth in advertising. I saw an ad for a DVD on Low Box Training. I am sure that soon there will be on high box training DVD and then a sequel for higher box training. I do have my own videos and books that I have sold for years, I think the difference is that they are loaded with information and low on hype and smoke and mirror stuff. Folks there are no secret training methods. When you travel around the worlds as I have had the good fortune of doing you see more commonalities than differences. At the end of the day regardless of the method it must be done consistently for a long enough period of time to obtain a positive training adaptation. In my experience the minimum amount of time to get any significant speed gain is at least 8 weeks training five to six days a week. The caveat to that is that if you are very slow anything you do will improve your speed. That is why I laugh at these football combine prep situations where they brag about .3 improvements. What they don’t say is that the guys started at 5.5 for a forty. In another post I am going to list the criteria that I would use to evaluate a program. By the way check out the new download of the Basketball program - that program worked! Those girls kicked ass and took names.

6 Comments:

At 10/20/06, 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,

Improvement of .3 for some of those guys regardless of method can amount to more $ than you or I will make the next 10 years.

Mark Day D.C., CSCS, DACBSP

 
At 10/20/06, 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you even watched the DVD before ripping on it?

Have you talked to the coach to find out his philosophy of training and where low box methods fit in to an overall program?

Seems like you would want to know these things before making teh comments that you did.

 
At 10/20/06, 6:14 PM, Blogger KP said...

Criticism is good, if it is constructive. Bashing is not, especially people who bash and do it anonymously. Even if you don't have a registered name, include some info about yourself in your post.

 
At 10/20/06, 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted this about "entertrainment" on a forum and when I see power training with swim cords I cry "jumped the shark". I work another job so that my training doesn't suffer with who I work with. I can produce some ebooks and some other product in this day in age with technology but want it to be something I can be proud of.

Carl Valle

 
At 10/21/06, 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KP,
There is no bashing meant by the questions above.

I think it is a valid and fair question to ask Vern if he has reviewed some of these products himself before commenting on them about being hype.

That in my opinion is bashing.

RB

 
At 10/21/06, 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Taft, who produced the DVD Verb is referring to is a very good coach with a successful full time business in upstate NY.

Vern sold videos and manuals before anyone else.

I understand that no one likes "hype" and "marketing" but WAKE UP. Marketing is a billion dollar industry - it exists for a reason.

There are hundreds of products available nowadays - marketing is a necessity. Bad mouthing a product because of it's marketing and not it's content is short-sighted beyond belief. Have you seen the "got milk" commercials? Aren't you sick of the "hype and marketing" about milk? Same thing Vern.

Verns' argument that there might be a DVD coming on high box training etc is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Come one Vern. You sell a speed ladder video - how is a video based on the use of one piece of equipment any different from one on another piece of equipment?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home