9/22/06

Real Stupid Stuff

I almost wrecked my car when I saw this. We had just finished our workout yesterday evening and as driving away from the complex I looked over to see a team little guys running on crushed shell trail in full football gear. They were trudging along behind this fat “coach” (I use the term loosely). They looked to be all about seven or eight years old. The trail is ¾ of a mile long and you can’t cut across because it circles a pond. How stupid. What possible reason for doing something like this. From now on those kids will HATE running. It has nothing to with football. I honestly think that with many coaches at every level, if you do not know what to do, just do mindless conditioning that will build mental and physical toughness. I know that was the way it was with the Women’s US national soccer team the past few years.

1 Comments:

At 9/27/06, 8:23 PM, Blogger Comm's said...

I cringe when i consider my son will soon be in the care of a coach. My problem on top of this illustraton you give is that my son has the genes in him to be a 'lineman size guy'

When coaches try to push any athlete into their mold of lineman, its usually with the caveat to put on some weight. Its not done responsibliy and then the kid leaves high school obese with the dreams of college ball. Any good trainer knows the chances of that are slim. So now the kid starts his new life as a big boy.

By the way this did not happen to me but observed through years of working in the fitness business. These former lineman come to us ten years later still in their HS football mold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home