9/21/06

Dave Brubeck - An Inspiration


The other night I caught the tail end of an interview with Dave Brubeck regarding his performance at the Monterey Jazz Festival. I admire creative people and I am a jazz and have always been a fan of Dave Brubeck. It was great to hear to hear him and see that he is still just as vibrant and creative as ever. At Monterey he performed a new work the “Cannery Row Suite” honoring John Steinbeck. As a jazz fan one of my earliest exposures to the genre was to Brubeck. In college I used to play his concert at Carnegie hall by the hour. That album got me through many long nights writing papers in college; in fact I still listen to it today. He is now at least 84 and he continues to tour and produce. When asked why he kept going at age 80? “Because I want to better than last time” (He was starting on a multi city tour of Europe) That is what it takes to be great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home