10/8/07

Why They Play the Game

Saturday I did something I had not done in years; I sat and watched an entire American football game from start to finish. I watched the Stanford versus USC game. I actually watched in total amazement when it became clear what was happening. After the first 8 to 10 minutes of the games you could see that USC was not going to run away with the game. I had many levels of interest in the game. I am an alum of Stanford (Graduate School), my wife is an alum, I coached there for one year, a good friend and a player I used to work with Jon Haskins, is an assistant coach there now. I have been intrigued by the way Pete Carroll revived USC football and how he has managed to keep all the egos that he has recruited in check. But boy did the wheels come off of the USC chariot Saturday night. Stanford just played hard and never let up. They played the team on the field not the press clippings. By rights Stanford should never have been in the game, it should have been a complete blowout. Consider the following:

41 point underdog.
Starting QB....OUT
Starting RB.....OUT
Starting FB.....OUT
Starting Left Tackle....and future 1st Round Pick....OUT.
Starting MLB.....OUT
Starting and Best DT.....OUT
USC 35 consecutive home game victories
#1 Team in the
County
USC
’s homecoming game

Pretty cool – congratulations to the players and coaches at Stanford for a job well done.

4 Comments:

At 10/8/07, 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I don't like BCS. I've heard commentators say that the season acts as the tournament. If that were true USC's season would have been over after saturday's loss. I beleive college football needs a tourney even if it starts with just 4 teams. Ideally I would like to see an 8 team tourney. Like Vern said, That's "why they play the game".

Jonathan Hewitt ATC

 
At 10/8/07, 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any given arena!
Any given time!
Any given day!!!

 
At 10/8/07, 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The arena was at USC!
The time was 7pm est!
The day was saturday!!!
........and they lost.

Jonathan Hewitt

 
At 10/8/07, 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan

Any given arena!
Any given time!
Any given day!!!
I think the writer was trying to say that any teams, any individuals, any rankings can be beaten if they don't show up, and not lamenting about USC lost.

TC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home