10/10/07

Thoughts on 1,000

IT is hard to believe that this is post number 1,000. As I said when I reached the two year anniversary I never thought this would go this far. I started it as a daily warm-up writing activity to help me in writing the Athletic Development book. Now it is something I look forward to doing each day. I have many ideas to make this better for the next 1,000 posts. One thing I can promise you is that I will make this blog as noncommercial as possible. This blog is about sharing knowledge and provoking thought to define the filed of Athletic Development. The following are some thoughts for you:

  • Family and friends are first
  • We all stand on the shoulders of giants – We must honor and respect those who have gone before us and paved the way in order to make the journey easier for us.
  • Often it is not what you do not say, or do not do that is as important as what you do say and do
  • Communication is a two way process – Sending and receiving
  • Least we forget it is not what we say or write, it is what you read or hear that ultimately determines the quality of communication
  • The body is not a machine – A reductionist mechanistic approach will let to segmented robotic movement
  • Mistakes and losses are learning opportunities – take advantage of them
  • In life we have three time zones – past, present and future. The past in gone, we should learn from it and move on, not dwell on it. We can take care of the future by doing a great job in the present.
  • Knowledge and information is not the same.
  • Coaching and training are not the same.
  • Anyone can work – but does the work have purpose and direction
  • Simplify – Simplicity yields complexity

Hopefully there will thousands more posts, as I challenge myself daily to gain knowledge and understanding. In turn I will challenge you to do the same. For me this blog is just part of a longer journey on the functional path. It is certainly a journey worth traveling, a collection of experiences to be enjoyed and shared. Thanks for joining me on this journey.

5 Comments:

At 10/10/07, 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,
Congratulations on your 1,000th post!

You mentioned standing on the shoulders of giants...

What young and upcoming professsionals do you see will have a significant impact on this field standing on your shoulders?

Will

 
At 10/11/07, 6:47 AM, Blogger Dr Craig S. Duncan said...

VERN I thankyou for your Blog and I too look forward to it every day to learn and than apply the knowledge you give. You inspire me by your ethical non commercial attitude

 
At 10/11/07, 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your knowledege Vern!

Jeff W
Buffalo

 
At 10/12/07, 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Vern for the great posts. At your recommendation I picked up Radcliffes new book and I am enjoying it.

As someone who is known for being outspoken againest unethical verbage, I would be interested in your take on the countless use of "toning, sculpting, firming, and secret" in Pilates.

It is so tiresome to have to witness this unethical approach to fitness marketing. The pilates people claim their work can be functional! That's pretty amazing since most of the pilates drills are done WITHOUT the feet in contact with the ground.

Phillip Bazzini
Tenafly, NJ

 
At 10/12/07, 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for recommending such books as The Art of Learning, Stealing the Wave, The Art of the Project Manager and so on. I wish this blog was around when I had to do my required summer reading in high school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home