8/4/07

The Revolution Now - The Blog Two Years Later

Today marks the second anniversary of this blog. Two years ago when I started this journey I had no idea where this was going to go. I was at the low point of my professional life. I was looking for something that would get me back on track and would help to reignite my passion for teaching and coaching. I know that I had to define and in many ways redefine myself and my personal mission. I could let my very toxic experiences with the NY Mets and the Nike Oregon project either defeat me or give me a renewed sense of purpose and direction. Working on the blog brought me back to a focus and a purpose of what I wanted to do moving forward with my life and my career. Just the process of selecting the name of the blog really helped to redefine what my mission had been and what it would be going forward. My mission had always been to build and rebuilt the complete athlete, but I realized to continue to that I had to get back on the functional path. I also realized that the filed that I worked had very little direction and definition so I set out on this journey to define the field of Athletic Development. We are making progress and the blog has contributed. Your frank and candid comments have really helped to move this process forward. No one person can and should define this field. It must be a collective effort. In the next years going forward with this blog and with other projects that will be my sole focus. Literally everything I do will be dedicated to that purpose. I hope you will join me and contribute to raising the standard of professionalism, refine the body of knowledge and raise the level of expectation of all those involved.

This is not an ego trip, rather it is my passion and my life. The knowledge and relationships that I have made through coaching are priceless. I want to be able to give back and share successes and failures. The whole field is at a crossroads now. We can get on board and chose to define the field and coach and teach or we can whore out and become glorified personal trainers chasing the almighty dollar wherever it will take us. Defining the field will create jobs and income opportunities that are professional and up lifting. I recognize that all the idealism in the world will not put bread on the table, but to make money we must never compromise our ideals or there will be very little satisfaction or substance to what we do

I want to thank all of you loyal readers. Tell other about the blog. Let’s start a revolution to define this field. In the next few weeks I will have some exciting announcement of what I will be doing going forward and where I will be on my journey along the functional path, I hope you will join me. Remember the pursuit of excellence has its own rewards.

9 Comments:

At 8/4/07, 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERN

congrats on two years. checking your blog is one of the very first things i do each morning. your hard work, dedication, and overall drive to make the field better is a real inspiration. i feel lucky to have had the chance to be exposed to your work and i am very greatful for your continued posting and pushing forward the idea of the following the functional path. i wish you all the best in the future, and look forward to many many more years of this blog and all your other projects. thank you for everything you do.


PAT DONOVAN MEd, ATC

 
At 8/4/07, 9:37 AM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

It is amazing how nothing in this blog is a tangent. Whether Vern's talking about jazz or engineering system integration, it all eventually finds a practical applicaiton that you can use every day in your classroom or clinic. And I hate to be a pimp, but if you haven't read Vern's athletic development book, do it. I've referred back to my copy so many times the pages are already ripped.

 
At 8/4/07, 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Checking this blog is a ritual of mine about 2-4x/day. I enjoy many of the comments as well. I use many of Vern's posts as handouts for patient's and athletes. Fortunately he has not made enough $ from his book sales to come after me yet for doing that. When he turns this blog into a book I know I will be in trouble.

In regards to the book, is there any video footage of the Oregon Drill pictured in the book? I just do not recall seeing it in any of the many videos I have.

Mark Day

 
At 8/4/07, 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern-

Thanks as always for thought provoking information, whether it comes in the form of your blog, which I too check multiple times a day, books or videos. Please keep up the good work.

I too would like to see a video clip of the Oregon Drill. I've been wanting to make a youtube video of what I imagine the drill is for your critique but havne't done so yet. I'm guessing my interpretation would be missing a few of the finer points of the drill.

Mark Crabtree

 
At 8/5/07, 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Vern can add his 2 cents to the wikipedia assessment of the oregon project.

Otherwise, yes, this blog is one of the few to maintain my attention daily, and I rarely disagree with what Vern says.

 
At 8/5/07, 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it up, Vern, I think the blog, at it's heart, shows you are still willing to learn and that's what makes you such a terrific teacher....

Todd Langer
www.balance2posture.com

 
At 8/6/07, 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has helped slow the journey down. As I scroll through, I see the path and the footprints left behind.
Thk you

 
At 8/6/07, 7:30 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Vern, thank you for the thought provoking topics. I use them regularly with my employees and clients to get them to think differently about training. I enjoy reading the information you put forward and have read many of your book recommendations. If we build it, they will come.

 
At 8/6/07, 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although we've never met and you wouldn't know me from Adam, I feel as though you are one of my mentors just from the great reading I've done from the blog and your athletic development book. I was first introduced to you when you worked with Gary Gray on a video project. I have since used you and Gary Gray as resources when I needed answers. I might not be as knowledgeable as others but I am smart enough to know where to look and how to identify a good resource when I see one. Thank you for tolerating some of my ridiculous questions.

Jonathan Hewitt ATC
move.beyond@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home