5/16/07

Australia Day Six

Taught Speed to Max Seminar. The majority of coaches were from team sports so that determined the emphasis of the seminar. We were able to do a fair bit of practical work, which was good. It was interesting again to have the dorsi flexion “toe up” come up again and the pawing action. Those myths still get passed on without any basis in biomechanics regardless of the country. Had a small sidebar discussion on defining the field of “Strength & Conditioning.” Many feel that the term is confining and defining them to a rather small range of activities that is not indicative of what they actually do. Once again the issue is universal. Had dinner with the South Sydney performance team staff. Really good discussions on many practical issues that they face in training for Rugby League.

4 Comments:

At 5/16/07, 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to the confining by ones title. I personally don't think athletic training describes what the skills of an ATC really are. When I suggested the name be changed to the NATA, they weren't open to it at all. Personally I haven't met too many ATCs who actually train beyond rehab.

Jonathan Hewitt ATC

 
At 5/16/07, 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,
Would you be able to post a pros & cons list of the whole 'toe up' issue?

 
At 5/17/07, 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,
I 've really missed your updates on the Venice volleyball team. Have you found a big Aussie yet?

 
At 5/17/07, 5:05 PM, Blogger Shawn Gilbert said...

Vern,
You probably don't remember me, but I was a player in the White Sox organization when you were the strength coach. I did not know you went to Fresno State? Anyway love your stuff on training and speed. It is all very functional stuff. I am now an assistant baseball coach At Fresno Pacific U. I got my bs from FSU and now am in the grad program at Fresno Pacific in Kinesiology so I love to learn about functional training. As you know baseball in some ways are outdated in the way they train and prepare. Just wanted to say hi and love your stuff any info on baseball functional strength I would love to find. e-mail address is shawn.gilbert@fresno.edu. Take care and enjoy the trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home