12/4/06

Pressure

I spent Saturday afternoon and evening doing something I have not done in a very long time, I actually watched football games, usually within three minutes I am asleep and the game is watching me. I watched the USC versus UCLA game, a historic rivalry rich in tradition, but the stakes higher this time, a berth in the National Championship game for USC if they won. The reason I watched the football games and also watched parts of the Men’s and Women’s NCAA Soccer championships is that I am fascinated with how athletes and coaches deal with big game pressure. Getting there is one thing, but achieving optimum performance in the big game is another. It was obvious from the start that USC was feeling the pressure, the false start penalties by their linemen were an indicator of that. I also wonder if they had gone to well too often, too many must win games can be an emotional drain. On the other hand watching Florida versus Arkansas in the SEC Championship game was like watching a team going to work. Florida made mistakes, but they had a resiliency and focus that was relentless. It was interesting to watch their coach Urban Meyer, this guy is driven and intense and his team reflects him. When the players dumped Gatorade on him and there was still 50 seconds left in the game, he was pissed off, he clearly sent a message to his players that the game was not over until final whistle. Over the years I have seen athletes and coaches fail and succeed. One of the biggest characteristics of those who fail is that feel that it is the big game and I have to do something different. A wise cowboy once said “dance with who brung you,” in other words do the things that got you there when you are there. I love to watch Tom Brady, he loves the pressure, he is best under pressure. That was why it was so much fun watching Joe Montana. The demeanor and the body language never changed and that had a calming effect on his teammates. As a coach I love pressure, I like to be around the atmosphere where excellence is the only option. Have I screwed up in pressure situations, yes big time, but hopefully I have learned from those mistakes. The secret is having fun, do the things that go you to the big game, learn what buttons to push with individuals and the team. Most of the time it is not a matter of getting psyched up, it is matter of staying focused and in the moment. The atmosphere of the big game or the championship is enough to put most people over the top. The other aspect is to prepare over the long term for the big game. Put the State meet or State Championship in the schedule, talk about it all the time that is the ultimate goal. Make it familiar. Simulate the pressure situations as often in training as possible, not just in technical and tactical situations, but in strength training, in speed development and conditioning. Find out who thrives on pressure, who can make quick decisions, don’t wait until the big game to find out. It was interesting watching the North Carolina women, they were actually having fun. One of them got knocked flat on her butt, when her teammates came over to help her up she was laughing. Man did that send a message to Notre Dame. Her body language said you gave me your best shot and it wasn’t good enough. Why because that is the way they practice, they practice to be in the big game all year. Michael Jordon was a tremendous pressure performer because he put pressure on himself and his teammates every day in training. That is as good a way as any to prepare for the pressure.

1 Comments:

At 12/4/06, 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it is matter of staying focused and in the moment" I couldn't agree with this comment more on how to deal with pressure. When I was a junior in college, I qualified for national collegiate cross country meet. I got myself incredibly psyched up for this race because that's what I thought I needed to do. Right before the race began, a coach I knew from a rival school came up to me and said "just run your race." In that moment, I could not figure out what he meant. I ran the first mile 20 seconds faster then I had ever gone out before and by three miles I had a terrible stomach stitch that made me stop. I stumbled in near the back of the pack and all I could think about was I should have "just run my race." Ever since then, I've never been a big fan of getting real psyched up for anything. If I had just run my race I would have stayed focused and in the moment and the outcome would have been a lot better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home