10/16/06

A Few Random Thoughts About The Blog

This blog reflects my interests. I am a coach who is constantly trying to improve my skills and increase my knowledge. I am willing to share my success and my failures, because you learn from both. I do not have all the answers and I do not pretend to have all the answers. In so many ways this is the anti guru blog. My goal is to present the big picture, to get you to think about what you do. I want to provoke you to do something, anything that will make you better at what do. Strength and conditioning has outlived its usefulness, we need to move on. The future is now and the future is Athletic Development. I am going to do everything in my power to help to define the field of Athletic Development. We need change in order to progress. I am fortunate to have coached for 37 years, but that certainly does not mean that I have 37 years experience. It is probably more like 25 years because I am sure that I wasted at least 12 years repeating the same experience. I thought I knew everything, and stupidly I would tell anyone who would listen and some who would not listen what I knew. Now I have it figured out, there is a lot more that I do not know than I do know. That is what sustains me and I believe is what will keep me relevant as I progress in my career. I will share information and ideas on this blog and my web page. In many cases I will not charge for the information (not that I do not need the money) but because it is information that I think might help define the field. If you want more then you can have me consult or you can come to one of my seminars. I seldom hold anything back. Check out the resources page in the redesigned web page, I will put downloads of things there that I think can help you or provoke discussion. All I ask from you is feedback.

7 Comments:

At 10/16/06, 10:26 AM, Blogger JC said...

This blog continues to be one of the few I log into every morning, with no pre-conceived ideas or expectations. I'm never dissapointed with the information whether it be athletic development or life lessons in general.
Keep'em coming Vern.

 
At 10/16/06, 10:56 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Vern, If your goal is to get us to think about why we do what we do, you are accomplishing your goal. Thanks for making me think about what I do as a strength coach.

My motto for my programs is "Building Better Athletes". I too believe that strength and conditioning needs to evolve past traditional weight training and sprints to athletic development. The difficult part is getting HS athletes to buy into this outside the box approach.

 
At 10/16/06, 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo the comments by JC and Paul but would like to extend upon what Paul says about the high school athlete. I find it is not the athlete who has to buy into the "outside the box approach" rather, it is the coach.

Vern, your dedication and committment is world class. More impressive is your humilty and willingness to make my road a little easier to hoe.

Any input Vern or any others have on enlightening coaches to Functional Training and rehabilitation is priceless.

Thanks Vern for sharing your gifts and passion.

 
At 10/16/06, 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just starting to read this blog and to learn about functional training. Can someone recommend the ONE best, ideal book to get me oriented? Besides the basics of functional training, I'm also looking to learn about about how athletes w/ existing knee injuries can train this way (w/out further injury from impact). Thanks and thanks for the blog--

 
At 10/16/06, 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vern,
What you do here is outstanding!
The info you have posted here gets me to thinking about what I do and why? It keeps us training, coaching and teaching smart and at the same with passion. You have made me a much better strength coach.
I read a lot of blogs, the very best is yours and Tracy Fobers
The Exercise Police!
Thank you!
Kev A.

 
At 10/16/06, 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,

I have always considered the greatest gift I (and everyone else on here)can ever give is health and vitality. It is really impossible to put a value on taking someone out of pain and helping them return to doing what they enjoy. The same can be said for helping an athlete be all that they can be. Your blog helps all of use do that. I especially enjoy printing out some of the topics and hanging them up in my office for patients/athletes to look at. The story coming from you means so much more to them and deservedly so because you are the best. I think my favorite topic to hand to patients is the Eric Gagne story. It is so true. Keep up your efforts!

Mark Day D.C., CSCS, DACBSP

 
At 10/17/06, 8:38 AM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

With your new book coming out, I think you should include some online quizzes for a fee. You are already a NATA & NSCA provider. It would be a great way to pick up CEU's, and digest the info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home