10/15/06

Baseball Playoffs

I do not watch too much baseball. I am not a big baseball fan but I am a fan of certain players, in fact I cherish the time got to work with certain players. It has been really neat to see Magglio Ordonez of the Tigers and Jose Reyes of the Mets shine. I got to work with Jose only for the short time I was with the Mets. He is a great athlete and a great young man. Jose Vazquez (The assistant strength & conditioning with the Mets and now the head S&C with the Texas Rangers, who is also a physical therapist) and I worked with Jose to get him back after a series of injuries that had everyone in the organization doubting his heart and desire. In the last two years I believe he has only missed one game. He has led the National League and triples and stolen bases the last two years, obviously the adjustment in running mechanics had a beneficial effect. He is a very good worker who loves to play. That smile you see on his face is not a put on, it is general he really PLAYS baseball. ( I will put Joses training program from the 2004 off season on my web page downloads later this week)

I first met Magglio Ordonez when he was a sixteen year old kid from Venezuela in Spring Training. He was a hard worker from the very beginning and he continues that in his big league career working very closely with Steve Odgers to keep working on his athleticism. In the time from the start of spring training when he first came to the White Sox to the start of Rookie ball in mid June. Magglio gained 14 pounds of muscle. His skin folds did not change but his bodyweight increased from 167 to 181. He was strength training four to five times a week and fed lunch and breakfast at our complex. It is great to see him excel.

1 Comments:

At 11/2/06, 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious if you will ever post his workout. I was hoping once you got back it would be added.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home