10/14/06

Lance Armstrong & the Marathon

It was interesting to read an Interview with Lance Armstrong about his preparation for the New York Marathon. First I was struck with how haphazard his preparation was compared to his methodical preparation in cycling. On second thought it makes sense in that he is now a ‘retired’ athlete. What really jumps out is that this guy is all about competition. He competes in everything he does. This is certainly a characteristic in all the champions I have been around. This actually could hurt in the marathon where he will have to hold back and not race too early. (Now, I must say I have no infatuation with the marathon, no desire to ever run one. I find t hard to relate to why the average person would want to hurt like that for four hours.)There is speculation on how he will do. I think if he finishes he will run 2 hours and 52 minutes. He has the engine, the aerobic capacity, you do not lose that. Much has been made about him not doing a run longer than ten miles,that is another myth in marathon preparation. He knows what it is like to concentrate and endure discomfort for long periods of time. I think what will eventually hurt him will be the repetitive impact forces. The eccentric loading from the pounding is the opposite of what his training has been the last twenty years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home