8/12/06

Judging by Results

Simon wrote this in response to an earlier post :"... and do not always judge by results" ????????????Vern, you MUST explain that one to me. Read your own comments on the lethargy-provoking soccer warm-up; it's because too many of us have got into the habit of NOT judging by results, that we have adopted habits that do not benefit us.

His comments warrant further explanation and comment. Many coaches and programs do very little and produce results because they start with unbelievable talent, always try to evaluate performance and systems on what they do with what they have. For example nobody mentions Gary Winkler among the worlds greatest sprint & hurdle coaches yet he has produced some unbelievable results. He has had few athletes come into his program at University of Illinois as national record holders, but they have left world Champions! Those are the results I value! You must look beneath and behind the results the results. Some people have great athletes and have great development programs, I always value those and learn from those. Look at why and how results are achieved. That is what fascinates me.

1 Comments:

At 8/17/06, 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification; totally agree with you.
In my world (distance running) we can look at Arthur Lydiard, see the champions and the medals, but then also see the results of his system applied to "normal" people.
But...there's also a danger here. I'm a just-above-average runner, but I got good advice about gait, form, cadence and so on (and worked my butt off), took 11 minutes off my 10k time in a year and started winning things. Now what I hear most is, "Oh yeah, but its' easy for you -- you've got talent!" Ay caramba!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home