5/7/06

A Real Good Read

I really enjoy and I think benefit from reading coaches and athlete’s biographies. I think it gives you insights into their training and what it takes to be great. The book Golden Girl does all of that. It is a good read on many levels. Obviously there are insights into a very determined athlete who managed to put her sport in perspective. There are great insights into coaching in general and coaching the female athlete in particular. Coughlin’s coach Terri McKeever, who became the first female coach on an Olympic swim coaching staff in 2004 is a very interesting and innovative coach. Her struggles as a female coach in a male dominated world are worth the price of the book. Also for Coughlin and McKeever to succeed at the highest levels while at Cal Berkeley are truly amazing. I coached there and I know how tough it is to be a success in the classroom and a success athletically. I really enjoyed this book and I am sure I will post more about some of the thoughts I got as I was reading the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home