5/15/06

New World 100 meter Record?

Talk about an asterisk. How can we believe that this is a “clean” record? I love track & Field but this sport has big the problems right now. As soon as I saw that the record had been broken and I saw it was Gatlin, I had my doubts. After all his coach has had SIX athletes test positive. Not one or two, but six! His coach turned in the now infamous syringe that started the whole BALCO debacle. How can you not have doubts? I have followed Gatlin, he was a great talent before he went to the present coach and I hope he is really clean, but a coach with a track record like that, who knows? It is certainly unfair to cast aspersions, but there is a cloud over this sport. Let’s start by cleaning up the coaching. If a coach has one athlete test positive he or she should be banned from coaching, end of story. That might start to clean things up. Everyone in the sport knows there are drug coaches. It is amazing to see athletes’ still flock to those coaches. The powers that be continue to ignore this. As coaches we need to stand up and be heard. A clean sport might still be possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home