5/14/06

Scott Daniels - The Quiet Man

Scott was a decathlete I had the pleasure of coaching inform 1983 to 85. Scott died of leukemia on Friday night after an eight month battle. Scott fought the leukemia just like he trained and competed, with quiet determination. Unfortunately this was one he could not overcome. He was a great athlete. I can just see that bouncy stride and that big smile now. He was the most unlikely looking runner you have ever seen. He was 6’2”and 220 pounds, great size for decathlon, not an advantage in running. His best events were the 400 meters and the 1500 meters. In fact when he broke the American record in the Indoor Pentathlon in 1984 he ran 2:33 for 1,000 meters on a very tight 200 meter flat track. It was amazing to see. He was all grit heart and determination. I will miss Scott but all of us who knew him are better people for having known him. I got to talk to Scot three days before he died; all he wanted to do was to thank me for coaching him. He did not want any sympathy. That was him, thinking about other people. I would not have known he was sick if his girl friend had not called me in advance to tell me. Thanks Scott, the privilege was all mine.

2 Comments:

At 5/21/06, 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure to have met and work with Scott for 8 years. The man was trully awesome. He will be deeply missed.

 
At 6/26/06, 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vern,
My name is Julie Butler and I was Scott Daniel’s college girl friend. I am in the process of setting up a Track & Field Scholarship in Scott’s name through the University of Utah where we both went to school. I was wondering if you could help me piece together an inspirational track bio of Scott’s athletic career to be used as a base for this scholarship. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Julie Butler
Julie@betterwebcontent.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home