2/11/06

Online Coaching

Before I comment on Online Coaching I want to direct you to Tracy Fober’s excellent comments on the use of the trap bar and proper use of the deadlift. Go to www.ironmaven.blogspot.com

In regard to online coaching, I question if it is really coaching. I know over the years I have tried to coach some athletes long distance via phone, fax and then in modern times email. I just don’t feel that is real coaching. Coaching demands a physical presence. I need to see how an athlete “handles” a workout. Heart rates, lactate, perceived exertion are all good measure that can be communicated online, but how did the athlete achieve those measures? The foundation of athletic excellence is commitment, I just do not feel that as a coach I can expect nor give the same degree of commitment without being there.

1 Comments:

At 2/12/06, 10:32 AM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

OK, I see I-M's point regarding the trap bar. But wouldn't holding a dumbbell in each hand at your side while doing a deadlift movement have the same proprioceptive, functional flexibility value as the hex bar?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home