10/12/05

It's More Than an Exercise

What will be the latest and greatest “new” exercise? I really can’t wait to see. It really is more than an exercise. Over the past 15 years there has been a plethora of so called new exercises. To evaluate an exercise it is necessary to understand the goal that you are trying to accomplish with the exercise. What time of the training year will the exercise be used? How ill it be used? Will it be used to develop power, strength, to enhance a technical consideration? If it is a strength training exercise is it multi joint and multi plane? Does it do a better job than an exercise I am already using? I have found over the years that I am actually using less exercises rather than more exercises. I think (hope) this has come because of better understanding of the goals of training. What I am doing is using derivatives and variations of key exercises. The crux of all of this is a quote from Dr Roger Enoka “The function of a muscle depends critically on the context in which it is activated.” Get beyond the exercise, think big picture.

1 Comments:

At 10/12/05, 8:24 AM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

I read an article recently on the topic of periodization by a big time guru in the fitness industry. It was painfully obvious that this guy has never coached anything. His routines are a big hot mess of exercises. I'm an athletic trainer, but I'll never be able to put S & C routines together as good as you do- because I never coached. That is your gift. Everybody these days is some type of technician. No one coaches anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home