10/10/05

Seeing with New Eyes

I was listening to NPR this morning and the there was piece talking about scientists working on the Human Genome Project. In essence they had ignored a whole DNA path because they were they were limited in they vision. The comment was “you see what you are trained to see.” I was struck with how profound this was. That is certainly a big problem in coaching and rehab. We tend to get limited by what we are trained see, rather than what is happening right in front of our eyes. It is so easy to fall into the trap of looking at what is convenient and repeating the same errors. It is imperative when dealing with human movement that we see with different eyes. We need to change perspective, sometimes even role play and become a body part and feel through movements. Regardless of who we are, we all have a bias. I know because of my background and training I look for certain things in movement and I usually find them! Is that because they are really there or is that because I want them to be there? I urge you to think about how you observe and evaluate movement, you may see something new!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home