10/7/05

False Prophets Bearing Gifts

I really feel sorry for the young people coming into the field of performance enhancement. How can they separate the wheat from the chaff, and style from substance. The problem is that the premium today is on marketing. One prominent guru has endorsed two different cable pulley systems in the last two years. According to him they both were the best. Which one is better, the latest one that paid him more? We have a responsibility to think about these things. This creates confusion. It just adds to the pollution of knowledge that we have in this filed. At the moment it is a highly toxic atmosphere. I can’t understand why people do not wake up. As a prerequisite for entry into this field everyone needs to have a finely tuned “bullshit filter.” Whatever happened to good old fashioned humility, thirst for knowledge, substance and hard work.
I make my living in this field, but that does not give me the right to mislead and misinform people. I am willing to admit when I am wrong or that I do not know something. That is why I am no longer part of the Perform Better dog and pony show. The “Learn by Doing” segment of those clinics is nothing more than a three hour product demo. They have contributed greatly to the pollution of knowledge, everything is about selling product, it does not matter if two speakers follow each other and contradict each other, as long as they sell product. They are not the only ones, just the most prominent. Knowledge is meant to be shared. There is really nothing that is new in this field, it just has a fancier name, more attractive packaging and it costs a lot more. Kettlebells are advertised as the Russian secret training method, there were kettlebells in gyms all over the United States a hundred years ago! They just fell out of favor. If everything is placed in a historical and scientific context it is clear that there are certain commonalities that sound functional training programs share. The functional path has many road signs pointing us in the correct direction; we just need to read the signs.

2 Comments:

At 10/7/05, 1:31 PM, Blogger jbeyle said...

Hammer...nail...head. I guess I am as guilty (gullible) as others. I read articles, see new products and wonder if there is something I am missing, don't understand, don't get, etc. But what it often comes down to is knowledge, common sense, and for me, a valid reason why I am having an athlete do what he/she is doing. It si amazing how much misinformation is out there.

 
At 10/7/05, 4:32 PM, Blogger Tracy Fober said...

My Dear Vern,

Bless you for telling it like it is. You have always been a source of inspiration for me as a person in this "industry" specifically because you refused to not stoop to the level many others have.

There are too many false prophets bearing gifts--for sale. Back in 1999 you gave me the best gift I know--the gift of the thirst for knowledge, sharing and the investigation of the best all fields have to off (physical therapy, sport science, exercise phys).

My prediction: The next big thing will be Stall Bar routines and gyms dedicated to their use. Just you watch.

Keeping it simple,

Tracy Fober

 

Post a Comment

<< Home