11/14/07

Steve Nash

I am not trying to jump on the Steve Nash bandwagon, but when Carl Valle alerted me to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjP82KOtreE&eurl=http://www.thecrossovermovement.com/component/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,61/ as I watched it I could not help but think back to the first time I saw Steve Nash. I was working with the Canadian National team and we were practicing at Mount Douglas High School in Victoria. Ken Shields, the head coach told me he had had invited a local high school to practice with us. My first reaction was – are you nuts? When I saw him I was convinced he was nuts! He was small and scrawny. Then he got on the court and played, he more than held his on, he was not intimidated in any way. I honestly can’t say that at that point you could predict he would be where he is today. I think he is a good example of K. Anders Ericsson's concept of deliberate practice. Ten years or 10,000 hours to achieve top level performance! It is interesting to note that during the time I worked with the national team he tested as hands down the fittest player on the team. We used the Leger beep test. His scores were comparable to a top soccer mid fielder. Enjoy the video – it is still about play – obviously he enjoys playing and competing!

1 Comments:

At 11/15/07, 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought Steve Nash was a cocky, arrogant athlete.
Then one day I came upon a pickup BBall game in NYC he was playing in, and saw how he treated everyone there...he was just another guy, albeit an Immensely talented one
I walked off after 3 enjoyable hours...a different person, transformed by the magic of Steve Nash.

Jorge Carvajal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home