8/20/07

More on Lane Kiffin

My reply to the following comments, to clarify my last statement: Not sure I understand your last comment/question. Are you saying that having an opened door to take advantage of is a bad thing? No by no means, he had contacts, proved himself at USC and has a great opportunity. If you have contacts use them, but you still have to do the job.

Surely with all of your contacts someone has done the same for you? (I mean this with all due respect) – Certainly not starting out. I had NO contacts. I started as Junior High school teacher. It was not until I had coached eight years that I was able to develop some contacts. I had to prove myself every step of the way. I think that is what Kiffin has had to do. I am sure his name opened some doors but he had to do the job or he would not be where he is today.

2 Comments:

At 8/20/07, 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how he learns to manage different personalities of his staff (he picked), players (he'll pick 15 or so new ones this year, the rest are from the old regime) and the media (he'd never pick). I think this is where a 31 year old is going to struggle with no high pressure HC experience.

He has to go wway beyond x's and o's. In fact as a NFL HC he is more an administrator. I wish him well.

Jeff
Buffalo

 
At 8/21/07, 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if it is sometimes just as important to recognize a possible no win situation and saying no even though it is what you yearn for. I just received a call to help a team that for years I tried but was told no. With one of the very top ranked HS basketball players in the nation on the team it sounds exciting but from listening to Vern and others I will be anxious when I meet with them to discuss the needs of the team. I do not want a NY Mets situation.

Mark Day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home