7/5/07

USA Track & Field Coaching School

I was privileged to attend the USA Track & Field Coaching at Loyola University in Chicago from June 30 to July 3. I attended the presentations by Frans Bosch to Sprints and Jumps group. He did six presentations on six topics. I found them all very thought provoking and stimulating. He is an individual who literally combines art and science. He is an artist and brings the creativity and the eye of the artist to movement and he is also a scientist with an understanding of biomechanics. There was so much information that I need time to digest it all. Here are a few thoughts that I gleaned from his presentations:

  • Use science carefully – combine good practice and science
  • Anatomy (Structure of the body) is important; it is not just kinetics and kinematics. He approaches movement from an anatomical point of view. ( I kept thinking back to the work of Richard Lieber, who approaches movement in a similar manner)
  • No strict rules about form – but building blocks from anatomy and biomechanics
  • Individualization is the key
  • Wrong to consider basic motor properties independently, they are all interrelated.
  • Intermuscular coordination is the most important factor in performance
  • Strength is a function of coordination
  • Strength Training is coordination training under increased resistance
I will post more on his ideas as I have time to review my notes and reflect on his ideas. It is always great to have your ideas challenged. It was also great to be able to have to visit Gary Winckler and Jim Radcliffe, two of the best coaches I know. They always get me inspired.

2 Comments:

At 7/5/07, 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern
What do you think of the POSE method of running? How applicable is it to SPRINTING?
TC

 
At 7/6/07, 11:54 AM, Blogger GMG said...

I think the last few bullet points really stand out, emphasizing the relationships between coordination and other 'components' of performance enhancement. Although most of us understand the essence of what coordination is and when we see it in athletes, it is not common to see consideration of how to facilitate improving coordination. Much like Huygen's clocks, what is the control parameter for coupling joint/systems/ etc to improve coordination. Thought provoking stuff. Thanks for sharing!

GMGolden

 

Post a Comment

<< Home