1/26/07

Creativity

The following was posted yesterday on Seth Godin’s blog http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

99% of the time, in my experience, the hard part about creativity isn't coming up with something no one has ever thought of before. The hard part is actually executing the thing you've thought of.

The devil doesn't need an advocate. The brave need supporters, not critics.

It also made me think that too often we try to be original when what is more important is to stick with what is known and proven and build upon that. I know some of the most creative ideas I have had about training came in the middle of a session when I had to solve a problem with a movement in a particular athlete or even as simple a thing as not having enough medicine balls and had to adapt. Little things like that triggered some significant changes and adaptations. It makes me think of a line from one of my favorite Texas Tornado songs – A Little Bit is Better than Nada and sometimes you get the whole enchilada.

2 Comments:

At 1/26/07, 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern-

I agree. The best ideas seem to pop up during training. Either to solve a problem or suddenly a new approach emerges. I almost never come up with a new idea when I'm trying to think of it in advance.

Mark Crabtree MS,ATC,CSCS
mcrabtree@bullssoxacademy.com

 
At 1/28/07, 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more - as a Phys Ed teacher, some of my most productive/enjoyable lessons were those interupted by some unanticipated problem. It was often the students that came up with some innovation to overcome the problem. Getting students to solve a problem is such a great way of engaging them in their own training/learning. Unfortunately, some coaches/teachers are trapped in the idea that they have to have all the answers all the time - you can learn so much from your students/athletes.

Rob Miles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home