10/29/06

Blog Suggestions

Eric Carr wrote me the following in an email: “Something that I think would continue to be useful for all your readers is more critical examination of why you feel different coaching or exercise sequences make sense / do not make sense. I feel the best way of addressing the marketing hype of gurus and other sub- optimal programs out there would be to continue to use the blog to critically examine why different approaches work / do not work. A blog is an ideal medium to walk your readers through how you are thinking about each exercise, how it fits into a broader program, and how the overall program is structured to address specific goals.

There are underlying reasons why these odd exercises are being created. I think you breaking them down and identifying the goals and suggesting better approaches at thinking about the goals would be the most valuable thing I could get out of your blog.”

These are certainly very good suggestions that I will take to heart. The biggest struggle I have is making sure that individual exercises are put in context, the context of the workout, the microcycle and the whole plan. It is so much more that the exercise. There are no magic exercises just like there are no magic muscles. As an evaluative criterion is I ALWAYS try to keep the picture in mind. I have found that over the years when I have lost sight of the big picture that is when the exercises and the program did not work.

2 Comments:

At 10/30/06, 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree: Any joe can criticise without being constructive. It takes someone with confidence, talent and experience to counterpoint.

 
At 10/30/06, 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused by the sentence," There are underlying reasons why these odd exercises are being created", is he asking or telling you that you have odd exercises or he has odd exercises and if it is he, I would like to know his underlying reasons why he calls his exercises ODD and what the UNDERLYING REASONS are.

Ron B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home