1/27/06

Drills to the Max

Cones, poles, ladders, and sticks it does not matter, more drills is not the answer. I find that the more I coach the less drills I use. I have basic drills and then derivatives of those if necessary. The magic is not in the drill, but in the application of the drill. It starts with thoroughly understanding the sport the athlete is preparing for, then what position or event and last but not least what are the athlete’s individual needs. After that analysis then look at your drill menu and see what drills will apply. Make sure they transfer and the athlete understands the application. For example I use four or five basic ABC ladder drills, that is all regard less of the sport. When the athlete understands and masters those, then and only then will I add variations. Drill for drill sake will only make the athlete tired, not better. I want to make the athletes better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home