8/30/05

Core

There is an excellent review article in Vol 85, Supplement 1, March 2004 Archieves of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation. The title is"Core Strengthening"
The authors are Venu Akuthota MD and Scott F. Nadler, DO.
To quote from them "... all core muscles are needed for optimal stabilization and perfromance." I find it very ironic that many experts who preach fuctional multi joint and multi plane movement in the rest of the body strongly advocate isolating the the muscles of the core, especially the Internal Oblique and Tranverse Abdominis. Isolation does not work, in fact with the deep muscles of the core it is very difficult. Movement is integrated regardless of of the body segment. Isolation creates neural confusion!

1 Comments:

At 5/9/06, 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vern!

Liked the Outside article very much. In making the shift from old-school weightlifting/muscle isolation dogma to "multi-joint, multi-plane" type work, I've re-vamped my core program, having had a very successful series of VAX-D treatments a few years ago.

My question is, how can I tell if I'm isolating the core in a non-productive way? I thought I was getting more enlightened in this area, but now you've got me thinking again. Any thoughts?

Randy Mulkey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home