9/30/07

Another Paradigm

Mike Keeler, swim coach at University of San Diego wrote me the following: What do you think of this paradigm as far as exercise prescription? Effectiveness first, Intensity second, Frequency Third, and Volume last. I like it. I assume effectiveness means teaching and foundational work. Not quite sure what you mean by frequency in this context, once again I assume it means increasing the number of training sessions, which would have the effect of increasing the volume. Some people are calling this type of model reverse periodization; I prefer to call it common sense. I think we all need to recognize that training is cumulative process from day to day, week to week to week and month to month. Effectiveness first should mean that everything that follows will be quality and efficient.

2 Comments:

At 9/30/07, 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,

I have to properly credit that quote to Alyn Cosgrove. I just wanted to get your input

Mike Keeler
USD Swimming

 
At 9/30/07, 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my thinking "Frequency" referred to sessions of the similiar volume, while volume referred to increasing "volume" per session. Make sense

Mike Keeler
USD Swimming

 

Post a Comment

<< Home