3/10/07

Words

Say what you mean and mean what you. Be as exact as possible. I was taught that words create images and images create action. A key aspect of an Athletic Development system is terminology. Speed should mean the same thing regardless of the sport. Strength is the same. One of hallmarks of the guru is the use of words that no one else can understand or that create confusion. I just finished reading a book that really made me think about the use of language and the communication of ideas; Words That Work by Frank Luntz. His basic thesis is that it is not what you say it is what they here. It not what you write, it is what they read. My post the other day on winning the workout is a great example. I wrote to use Ice in the workout. I should have written ICE (Intensity, Concentration & Effort). Some people thought that I meant that you had to use ice during a workout to win a workout.

1 Comments:

At 3/10/07, 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

I don't know about the rest of you but I just had to shake my head and laugh a little after reading that this morning.

Vern, thanks for that comic relief (whether intended or unintended) this morning.

In the age of emails and blogging, the written word lacks the tone, inflection and personality of the writer and is often nothing more than black letters on a screen. It's no wonder that communication is often challenging or leaving either the reader, writer or both a little confused.

Vern, thanks for your time, passion, commitment, teaching, coaching and humor you share in these posts. The thoughts, links and info you share fill my Brain Tank every day. I hope to have the priveledge of thanking you in person some day.

S. Sall
B'ham, AL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home