2/28/07

Planning

I saw this quote from Dwight D. Eisenhower the other day:
“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” This certainly is applicable to coaching. My experience has taught me that detailed long term plans are virtually useless, they end up changing so much by the time that they are actually implemented that any resemblance to the original plan is almost purely coincidental. That does not mean there is no planning, far from it, the key is the focus of the plan. I have shifted my focus away from detailed long term planning to more general thematic plans for the long term and very detailed plans for the sessions and microcycles. For more information on this approach I recommend chapters 5 & 6 in my new book – Athletic Development – The Art & Science of Functional Sports Conditioning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home