2/20/07

Seattle Trip

Sorry for not posting much over the past week, I was out in Washington doing some consulting and to teach my Functional Path Seminar. It was a very enjoyable trip in so many ways. It is always great when you get to spend time with passionate highly motivated people. That really inspires me. Thursday I spent the day in Spokane with the guys from U District Physical Therapy. They have a contract to do the strength & conditioning for Gonzaga University. It was fun to sit around and talk coaching and see them work.

On Friday it was back to Seattle to spend the day with the guys from 6DD – Sixth Dimension Devices whom I consult with. I will write more about this later in the week, but they have developed a great device to measure many aspects of movement. I had not seen the device for almost a year, the progress is fantastic. They left me one for me to play with; I cannot wait to use it.

Saturday and Sunday I taught my Following the Functional Path seminar. It was hosted by Integrated Rehab Group. There were seventy people in attendance, a great and diverse group. There were physical therapist, athletic trainers, coaches, conditioning coaches and some people just interested in their own fitness. They were a very lively group who had great questions that got me thinking. I was honored to have an old friend in attendance, Alan Bonney, who was the women’s track & Field coach at University of Washington when I was coaching at UC Berkeley. It was fun to catch up with Al and share ideas; he is now working with youth soccer. Also in attendance was Frank Forencich a real interesting guy who has written a book that I am looking forward to reading called “Exuberant Animal – The Power of Health, Play And joyful Movement.”

Saturday Jim Radcliffe from University of Oregon came to visit. He is an old friend and a consummate professional. It is always fun and enlightening to get together with Jim. His energy is very contagious. We talk a long time about coaching and the state of coaching and the lack thereof. We agree that the field of strength and conditioning is crying out for definition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home