7/21/06

Here We Go Again

Yesterday I attended a presentation that highlighted multiple shoulder dysfunctions and the subsequent remedies. The problem was most of the evaluation focused on the shoulder and then they got real progressive and looked at the scapula. They spend all of two minutes out of 90 minutes talking about the hip shoulder relationship. Guess what the position was of most of the exercises to remedy the dysfunction – yes you got it – kneeling, sitting, and lying supine or prone. No wonder there are still a so many shoulder problems. Remember get hip to the shoulder. It does not matter if it is a pitcher, or grandma, the shoulder works the same. Joe Przulta did a great presentation on this several years ago, perhaps we can persuade Joe to post this on my web site.

3 Comments:

At 7/21/06, 6:48 PM, Blogger Joe Przytula said...

I've submitted an updated version of the presentation for consideration at the 2007 NATA meeting in California next June. I'll know in the fall whether or not it's accepted. If it's not, I'll get it out to Vern for download ASAP.

Kibler's article in The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery in '03 documented the kinetic chain's role in shoulder dysfunction. However, like Vern says, no one is sure what to do about it.

When I originally presented my ideas at the '05 EATA meeting I was prepared & expecting criticism. It was quite the opposite. I guess everyone is frustrated by throwing injuries.

 
At 7/23/06, 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have attended 3 of Kibler's shoulder seminar's and rehabbed a couple of his patient's shoulder problems. He certainly makes a point to include the connection with the entire body. Folks at the Human Performance Lab at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati also seem to have the same thoughts to include the hip. Funny though that many of the local rehab centers have no clue to this connection. I just wonder what is going on with Paul Wilson's (Reds) rehab because he likely will not get back this year at all from his shoulder surgery last year.

Mark Day D.C., CSCS, DACBSP

 
At 7/24/06, 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Joe P. - Yes, it is Kevin from the OTC. I only recently became aware of Vern's blog and have enjoyed the professional dialogue that has been exchanged.

Kevin M. Lake Placid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home